To make or cancel an appointment at the main Writing Center, call 608-263-1992 or visit us in 6171 Helen C. White.
Want to meet with a Writing Center instructor? You have many options:
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Writing Center Mission Statement
The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Writing Center helps undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines become more effective, more confident writers. We believe that writing is a powerful tool not only for communicating existing ideas but also for discovering new ones; that learning to write is a life-long process; and that all writers benefit from sharing work in progress with knowledgeable, attentive readers. Our methods—multi-faceted, flexible, and above all, collaborative—reflect our respect for the individual writer, whose talents, voice, and goals are central to all our endeavors.
Dedicated to the University’s pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, and service, the Writing Center offers—
- trained, supportive instructors who work one-on-one with students at all levels and in all disciplines
- trained, supportive undergraduate peer tutors who work one-on-one with students in undergraduate writing-intensive courses across the curriculum
- an online writing center providing electronic tutoring and instructional materials
- short-term, non-credit workshops about academic writing
- reference materials about academic writing, for use by students and faculty
- convenient access to our resources through multiple locations across campus and online
- teaching support for faculty and TAs across campus
- teaching, learning, and leadership opportunities for its staff
- national leadership in writing center programs, pedagogy, administration and scholarship