about the institute
Thanks to all the participants and leaders who made the 2008 Writing Center Summer Institute a success!
- New to directing a writing center?
- A long-time director looking for fresh ideas to develop your center in new directions?
- Starting a new center?
- Planning a writing center career?
- Interested in learning and sharing with writing center colleagues?
- Ready for more sustained writing center discussions than conferences offer?
In Summer 2009, join us in Philadelphia, for a week of stimulating presentations, discussions, mentoring, and fun with writing center colleagues from around the world. The Institute will explore theoretical, political, and practical elements of writing center life -- all from a student-centered stance. The Institute will provide a mentoring network of professional contacts, including both new directors and a range of veteran writing center professionals. The two co-chairs and the seven leaders are drawn from both large and small colleges and universities and secondary schools, with specialties that range from peer tutors to writing center research and writing across the curriculum.
Across the week there will be plenary sessions, panel presentations, round-table discussions, and workshops as well as social events and time for informal discussion and participant-initiated special-interest groups. Registration is strictly limited to 55 participants, which allows time for small-group conversations and individual consultations.