In this section, you will find many instructional materials we've developed for our Writing Center teaching.
However, there are limitations to these materials. Assignments vary, and different instructors want different things from student writers. Therefore, the advice here may or may not apply to your writing situation.
Finally, handouts can give only a fraction of the customized guidance that an individual conference with a Writing Center instructor can provide. If you have questions about the information in our handouts, please make an appointment to see a Writing Center instructor.
Common Writing Assignments
Use these pages to learn about common types of writing assignments.
- Reading Poetry
- A Short Guide to Close Reading for Literary Analysis
- Using Literary Quotations
- Play Reviews
- Planning and Writing a Grant Proposal: The Basics
- Additional Resources for Grants and Proposal Writing
Job Materials and Application Essays
- Application Essays and Personal Statements
- Resume Writing Tips
- CV Writing Tips
- Cover Letters
- Business Letters
Proposals and Dissertations
- Planning and Writing Research Papers
- Quoting and Paraphrasing
- Writing Annotated Bibliographies
- Creating Poster Presentations