In this section, you will find many instructional materials we've developed for our Writing Center teaching.
However, there are limitations to these materials. Assignments vary, and different instructors want different things from student writers. Therefore, the advice here may or may not apply to your writing situation.
Finally, handouts can give only a fraction of the customized guidance that an individual conference with a Writing Center instructor can provide. If you have questions about the information in our handouts, please make an appointment to see a Writing Center instructor.
Writing Process and Structure
Creating an Argument
- Thesis vs. Purpose Statements
- Developing a Thesis Statement
- Planning and Writing a Research Paper
- Architecture of Arguments
Working with Sources
Drafting Your Paper
Revising Your Paper
- Peer Reviews
- Reverse Outlines
- Revising an Argumentative Paper
- Revision Strategies for Longer Projects