During UW-Madison’s suspension of in-person instruction in response to COVID-19, the Writing Center is providing additional opportunities for online instruction beginning on Monday, March 23, and continuing through Wednesday, May 6. Please read below to learn how our instructional services have changed, and come back to this page for frequent updates.
Scheduled Email Instruction with a Specific Writing Center Instructor
(formerly Main Center appointments and satellite drop-in sessions)
With our main location and campus satellites closed for in-person instruction, all Writing Center appointments and satellite drop-in sessions have been converted to email instruction.
For those who would like to receive email feedback from a specific Writing Center instructor or those who would like to schedule a specific timeframe for feedback, we have opened up many slots for email instruction, including all times previously offered for satellite instruction. You can use our online scheduler, WCOnline, to reserve an email slot with a particular instructor and receive written feedback within one business day. If you have issues with the scheduler, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s how things will work: on the day prior to your email slot, we will contact you and provide instructions for sharing your draft. You will be asked to email your instructor your draft (either as a Word file or a Google doc) by 10:00 a.m. on the day of your email slot. Your instructor will then email you written feedback within one business day.
Non-Scheduled, Longer-Term Email Instruction
For those accustomed to receiving email feedback via the Writing Center’s online submission form or those who have more flexibility with deadlines, our email instruction queue is continuing as usual. Depending on student demand, instructor response times may vary between three to five business days from the time of draft submission. Submit your email to the next available instructor here.
(now available Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays)
For those accustomed to using the Writing Center’s Skype option or those who wish to connect in real time with an instructor, our Skype instruction is continuing as usual–plus we have added even more Skype slots! Skype instructors are available Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 7:00-10:00 p.m. Sign-ups begin at 6:45 p.m.
How to sign up for an appointment
- If you don’t already have a Skype account, sign up for one. (It’s easy!)
- When the video satellite is open (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:45 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.), load the sign-up sheet and register for an appointment.
- When your time arrives, your instructor will ping you on Skype and begin the session!
Weekly Writing Groups
We have moved all of our undergraduate and graduate writing groups to an online format in order to continue to support our writers throughout their projects.
We are still offering our Drop-In Graduate Writing Group on Friday mornings from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. You’re welcome to join us every Friday you’re able through the end of the semester. We’ll be meeting virtually through a Google Doc you can access here: https://go.wisc.edu/zu3545.
We will be providing online instructional content for the following workshops (approximate release date: April 15):
- The Basics of APA Documentation
- Grammar 1: A Review of English Grammar
- Grammar 2: Grammar and Editing for Style and Clarity
- Improving Style
- How to Email Like a Professional
- On the Academic Job Market: Composing the All-Important Cover Letter
- On the Academic Job Market: Writing an Effective Academic CV
- Personal Statements for Graduate Health Professions Programs
- Resumes and Cover Letters for Graduate Students and Returning Adults
- Resumes and Cover Letters for Undergrads
- Writing In-Class Essay Exams That Impress
Additionally, we are planning to offer online writing retreats at the following dates and times:
- A Writer’s Retreat: Tuesday, March 31, 3:00 – 7:00 PM
- A Writer’s Retreat: Saturday, April 4, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- A Writer’s Retreat: Wednesday, April 8, 5:00 – 9:00 PM
- A Writer’s Retreat: Saturday, April 11, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Guided Writer’s Retreat: Walking, Thinking, and Writing: Saturday, April 18, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Guided Writer’s Retreat: Walking, Thinking, and Writing: Saturday, April 25, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- A Writer’s Retreat: Tuesday, April 28, 6:30 – 10:30 PM
Information will be forthcoming for connecting with your instructor on the day of the retreat. We have retained sign-up information for those who have already registered.
Madison Writing Assistance
With our partner locations closed during this time, the Madison Writing Assistance (MWA) program has temporarily suspended its in-person writing support for community members at libraries and neighborhood centers throughout the city.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding Writing Center services, feel free to email us at email@example.com. We welcome your feedback as we continue working to support UW-Madison students, faculty, and staff during this time. Thank you!