To schedule an individual consultation at the main Writing Center in 6171 Helen C. White Hall, you will need to set up an account through our scheduling software, UW-Madison WCOnline, and then you can make your own appointments. It’s easy to do!
Are you a currently enrolled UW-Madison Undergraduate, Graduate, Professional, or Special Student?
To make an appointment online, you need to register with WCOnline using your UW-Madison NetID. Once registered, you will be linked to the online scheduler. If you have trouble registering please call the Writing Center at (608) 263-1992.
For more information about our drop-in satellites or Skype and Email Instruction, please see the Locations and Hours page. Even if you only plan on visiting the Writing Center online or at satellites, please still set up an account through UW-Madison WCOnline.
- Appointments are 30 or 60 minutes.
- Suggested length of appointments:
- 5 pages or less 30 minutes
- Over 5 pages 60 minutes
- You may schedule appointments up to three weeks in advance during the regular semester and use up to 1 hour of individual instruction time per week or 2 half-hour sessions per week for up to 10 hours per semester, including satellites and online. These parameters let us serve as many writers as possible!
- Please cancel at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment so that we can give the time to another student. Repeated no-shows or late cancellations will affect your ablity to make more appointments this semester.
- Check here to see if your course qualifies for Writing Center instruction. We work with students from most courses, but budgetary constraints limit the amount of teaching we can do each semester.
- For more information about appointment policies please visit our Frequently asked questions page.
Are you a UW-Madison alum, staff, faculty member, or post-doc?
Although we give first priority to currently-enrolled graduate and undergraduate students because our instruction is funded by student tuition, the Writing Center is happy to provide a limited number of consultations to our UW-Madison colleagues. If you are a visiting scholar, staff or faculty member, or recently graduated alum, you may call 608-263-1992 during our business hours to schedule an appointment. Just let the receptionist know that you’re from this group.
To find out more about how the Writing Center serves students and faculty, please see our Information for Instructors and TAs page.
Are you a community member in the Madison area?
Our Madison Writing Assistance (MWA) program provides thoughtful, responsive readers for all kinds of writing, from resumes and cover letters to memoirs and poetry. At libraries and neighborhood centers throughout Madison, MWA’s friendly, experienced instructors can provide useful feedback and help you ensure that you are reaching your audience. To find out more about MWA’s hours and locations, visit the Madison Writing Assistance homepage.