The written word is interwoven into the fabric of our lives – as individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Come celebrate the power of writing with Madison Writing Assistance at our Celebration of Writing event this April! You’ll find inspiration and advice, and you’ll learn more about how MWA can support the writing you undertake every day, whether for school, work, or pure enjoyment.
It takes courage to write. It takes even more courage to share your writing with the public. This year, we want to work with you to get your creative work published in our Celebration of Writing Anthology. This anthology will be shared with attendees of the April event, as well as with our partners and sponsors in the Madison community.
The 2023 Celebration of Writing Event will be held on Saturday, April 22 from 2-4 p.m. at Goodman South Madison Public Library. Open to the public.
Celebration of Writing Event
Join us in celebrating the power of the written word and local Madison writers! This event will be held at Goodman South Madison Public Library.
Saturday, April 22, 2 – 4 PM
Celebration of Writing Anthology
As part of the 2023 Celebration of Writing program, we invite creative writing submissions for an anthology of Madison writers!
Call for Submissions
Writers must complete this Expression of Interest form to register their interest in getting published in the anthology. (Please note this first step is important as there are limited slots available. The form will no more be available once all slots are taken)
Writers are encouraged to sign up for writing support sessions with our writing coaches in our various locations in the Madison area community. Our writing coaches will work with you to draft and review your work before submission.
What to Submit
- Submit a poem, a short story or an excerpt of a longer creative writing project (including novels, memoirs, or creative non-fiction).
- Length may not be more than 3,500 words.
- Language MUST be family friendly and appropriate for all audiences!
- All writing must be ORIGINAL WORK!
How to submit
- Submit your work by completing this Anthology Submission Google Form.
- Work to be submitted must be typeset (not handwritten) and submitted in both Microsoft Word and PDF formats. Please consult with our writing coaches if you need help with submitting in the prescribed formats.
- Final deadline for submissions is March 31, 2023
If you have any questions or concerns about uploading your submission, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voice message at (608) 616-0695.
The Madison Writing Assistance (MWA) program offers free, one-to-one writing support for community members at libraries and neighborhood centers throughout the city and online. MWA services are made possible through generous donations from the Evjue Foundation, the UW Anonymous Fund, Altrusa International of Madison, and through administrative support from the UW-Madison Writing Center and our library and neighborhood center partners.