Workshops are open to currently enrolled UW-Madison students, staff and faculty, and are offered free of charge. To register for a workshop, please fill out the registration form accessible through the link at the bottom of each individual workshop’s description page. You will receive a confirmation email for your registration as soon as you register.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Competitions, Awards, and Fellowships
Strengthen Your Academic Writing
- Five Secrets for Writing a Successful Undergraduate Lab Report
- Building Your Argument: Strategies for Writing Stronger Papers
- Writing In-Class Essay Exams That Impress
- Writing About Literature: How to Build an Engaging Interpretive Argument
- Taming Your Undergraduate Research Paper – NEW!
- Read Like a Jedi: Five Effective Ways to Read Sources When Writing Your Research Papers – NEW!
Support for Your Writing
Advanced Writing Opportunities
Writing Retreats and Community Building
New Media and Writing
Style, Grammar, and Punctuation
Letters, Resumes, and Applications
- Personal Statements for Health Professions Programs
- Peace Corps Re/Application Workshop: Writing the Resume and Motivation Statement
- Writing Application Essays and Statements of Purpose for Graduate School
- Writing Your Way to a Fulbright: The Application Essays
- Resumes and Cover Letters for Undergrads
To attend a workshop, go to the Writing Center main location in Room 6171 of the Helen C. White building. All workshops are held in the vicinity of the Writing Center and the student receptionist on staff will be able to direct you to the specific location when you arrive. We do not offer workshops online.
Plan to arrive to your workshop 10 minutes early. If you would like to register for a workshop and must miss part of it, please email us prior to registering. Workshops are designed to last for the time specified on their description page, and missing part of a class means that you are missing important material.
If you’ve looked through our workshop offerings and haven’t found the workshop that you believe will fit your needs, we’d like to hear from you. We are constantly refining and expanding our workshop offerings and would like to know if there’s a writing topic that we should be addressing. You can send us email, call, or stop by the Writing Center.