Setting Up Your Account
To schedule an individual writing appointment, you will need to set up an account through our online scheduler, WCOnline. To create an account:
- Click on the “Make an Appointment” button
- Use your UW-Madison NetID to create an account
Once your account is created, you will be linked to the online scheduler. If you have trouble registering, please call the Writing Center at (608) 263-1992.
What Kind of Writing Appointment Do You Need?
We help undergraduate and graduate writers at any stage of the writing process—from choosing a topic to drafting and revising—for any writing project. Each year, more than six thousand students from across the university—from first-year through doctoral students—benefit from talking and working with a Writing Center instructor. Learn more about the types of appointments we offer and find out which appointment is right for you.
Learn more about the types of appointments we offer and find out which appointment is right for you. Click for a downloadable PDF showing our services for students.
- In-Person Meetings at our Main Center
- In-Person Meetings at our Satellite Locations
- Virtual Meetings
- Written Feedback
Our temporary main center is located at 6172 Helen C. White Hall (600 North Park Street). Our appointments often booked up several days in advance, so please plan ahead.
In-Person Meetings are recommended if…
- You want to meet with a Writing Center instructor in-person.
- You want to collaborate and talk with a Writing Center instructor about your writing.
- You want ideas on how to improve your writing process.
- You want guidance about an ongoing or longer project.
Directions: Helen C. White Hall is across the street from the Memorial Union and Science Hall, on Lake Mendota.
- Enter the building to the left of College Library’s entrance.
- The Writing Center cannot be accessed from within College Library.
- Take the elevator up to the sixth floor.
- At the sixth floor, turn right, and then turn right down the corridor.
- The Writing Center is located in room 6172, which is the first door on the right.
Sign up for a same-day appointment with an instructor at one of the Writing Center’s satellite locations by logging into WCOnline using the button above. Appointments may be available on a drop-in basis as well.
Our Writing Center satellite locations begin operating in Week 4 of the semester, which means that this fall, satellite appointments start on Sunday, September 24, 2023. These continue through Wednesday, December 13, 2023. All Writing Center locations and services are closed for UW-Madison’s Thanksgiving break, beginning at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 22 and extending through Sunday, November 26. Services resume on Monday, November 27, 2023.
Satellites Across Campus
You’ll find us in the Red Gym on the first floor. Look for the Writing Center sign!
Wednesdays, 11:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
September 27–December 13, 2023
We’re in Witte Hall, Room 125, off the main lobby. Look for us at a table with the Writing Center sign!
Mondays, 6:15–9:15 p.m.
September 25–December 11, 2023
We are also available in Witte Hall, Classroom 114 on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, from 6:15–9:15 p.m.
We’re at the Red Gym, South Mezzanine. Look for the Writing Center sign!
Thursdays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
September 28–December 11, 2023
Find us in the CRC Tutoring Room 112, which is located on the first floor, just inside main doors after you enter the atrium. If you're not sure where to go, ask at the information desk.
Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, 6:15–9:15 p.m.
September 24–December 12, 2023
We’re in the Tutoring Room 1116. Look for our sign! If you're not sure where to go, ask at the Hall Desk.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 6:15–9:15 p.m.
September 25–December 13, 2023
We are located in Classroom 114 in Witte. Look for the Writing Center sign! If you're not sure where to go, ask at the Hall Desk.
Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, 6:15–9:15 p.m.
September 24–December 13, 2023
We are also available to meet in Witte Hall on Monday evenings, 6:15-9:15 p.m., in the Center for Cultural Enrichment (Room 125, which is off the main lobby).
We are located in the student services area on the first floor of College Library, to the right of the entrance and behind the main information desk.
Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, 6:15–9:15 p.m.
September 24–December 13, 2023
Find us on the 6th floor of Memorial Library, at the round table near the elevators. Note that students accessing this location will need to enter the library through the security gates to reach the elevators.
Mondays and Thursdays, 2:30–5:30 p.m.
September 25–December 11, 2023
Virtual Meetings offer real-time, face-to-face appointments in WCOnline, our online appointment system. Virtual Meetings allow us to collaborate with you through:
- a whiteboard where you and your instructor can view and comment on your writing
- conversation through video/audio
- a chat area for synchronous, written conversation
The whiteboard and chat area remain available to you after the appointment.
Virtual Meetings are recommended if…
- You’ve enjoyed meeting in-person with Writing Center instructors.
- You are unable to attend an In-Person Meeting.
- You have a reliable internet connection.
Written Feedback appointments allow you to receive written comments and suggestions from a Writing Center instructor. After uploading your draft into WCOnline, along with information about your assignment or writing project, you will receive written feedback the next business day following your appointment. This feedback will remain available to you after your appointment.
Written Feedback appointments are recommended if…
- You have a draft that you’d like to receive feedback and writing lessons on asynchronously
- You live in a different time zone that makes scheduling a Virtual Meeting difficult or impossible.
- Your internet connection is unreliable.
We work with writers on everything from thesis statements and organization to grammar and citation methods. We will also be glad to help you learn to edit and proofread your own writing. If you have questions, check out more about what we can do at the Writing Center or read through the questions and answers below. Still have questions? Email us!